The CFI has launched an updated call for proposals for the Exceptional Opportunities Fund (EOF) to support urgent needs for equipment for ongoing research related to COVID-19.
This call is in response to the current pandemic. The CFI will invest up to $25 million with the objective of supporting urgent needs for equipment for ongoing research related to COVID-19. The call is open to support ongoing research in all disciplines including but not limited to epidemiology, virology, vaccine development, diagnostics, therapeutic devices, mental health, social and economic policy and public health response. Unlike a typical CFI competition, the CFI will cover 100% of the eligible costs of a project. Please see the CFI website for full details.
UBC researchers are required to submit an Expression of Interest by noon Friday June 12, 2020. CFI’s final deadline to submit is July 6, 2020. Please note UBC’s internal application process outlined here (CWL required).
- The infrastructure component must be an indispensable element of an ongoing research project related to COVID-19.
- The infrastructure component must be acquired at the latest by March 31, 2021.
- Up to 5 researchers (Project lead plus 4 co-applicants) may be listed on the proposal to either work collaboratively using the same requested infrastructure, or to work independently while sharing the requested infrastructure. The researchers must be currently engaged in research or technology development activities related to COVID-19.
- Proposals requesting between $200,000 and $1.5 million are eligible.
- Construction costs are not eligible expenses for this competition. Costs of minor renovations are eligible if the renovations can be completed by March 31, 2021.
- There is now an institutional envelope for this competition, meaning that there is a limit to the total requests (in dollars) that UBC can submit to the CFI.
CFI's updated guidelines for completing an EOF proposal
UBC Internal Application Process and Deadlines
Due to the institutional envelope in place for the CFI’s Exceptional Opportunities Fund and short timelines, the VPRI and IPO will organize an abbreviated internal review process. UBC researchers will be required to submit an Expression of Interest by noon Friday June 12, 2020. To download the EOF form, review the internal timelines and FAQ, click below:
UBC Internal Application Process (CWL Required)